Results for this Quarter
- In part due to our expansion into Greenfield, we’ve continued to experience a dramatic increase in quantity and quality of the startups in the Mentorship Program cohort.
- Completed second pilot of an Amherst Mentorship Program with attendance and participation in excess of target levels (80 attendees vs target of 50).
- VVM partnered with the Worcester Cleantech Incubator to run a pilot of our mentorship program in Worcester to take place in May.
- We received >120 qualified applications (2x last year).
- The quality of the teams, and our budget, allowed us to accept 20% more startups into the accelerator than last year.
- This year’s cohort is one of the most diverse of any accelerator in the country, coming in at roughly 5-10x more diverse than the world’s top accelerators. 50% of our startups have women co-founders and 36% have minority co-founders. We believe this is in part because of innovations in our judging process that made it race & gender blind and in part because our program is more friendly to people with families and/or day jobs.
- We are proud to have been able to attract 50% more judges than last year, representing more gender and racial diversity, and representing more high-prestige funding sources. See a full list of this year’s judges.
- Accelerator leadership implemented a flipped classroom approach along with a rigorous curriculum based on the Lean Launchpad. Once again startups came together for nine days over three months to hear state of the art speakers, participate in workshops, to fine-tune their pitches with the help of seasoned VVM facilitators, and to practice being judged by successful entrepreneurs and venture capitalists. The startups also practiced presenting at a trade show with over 100 VVM mentors in preparation for one they put on for the 500 attendees at the VVM Accelerator Awards Event (5/26).
Recent VVM Success Stories:
- VVM Accelerator Startup Prophit Insight Makes Finals for Regional Pitch Contest
- CNBC Selects VVM Alum White Lion to be in the Battle of the Beer Labels
- Rep. Richard Neal hears success stories at Valley Venture Mentors accelerator ‘boot camp’
- VVM Alum FEAT Socks in 110 stores!
- VVM Alum Cambridge Blockchain Wins Santander InnoVentures Distributed Ledger Challenge